Friday, August 10, 2007

Throw another shrimp on the barby...


...as the Aussies say. This was my first experience grilling fresh prawns (complete with heads, legs, and shells). Extremely tasty, but extremely messy - you really had to work on these guys. I laughed later that night when, upon meeting up with Carsten and his friend Steph and telling them I had grilled prawns for dinner, they both immediately quipped "Throw another shrimp on the barby" in faux-Australian accents. Too funny (here are the three of us that night at the wine-bar).

In addition to prawn grilling and wine tasting, earlier that same night my flatmate and I tried go-karting... one of the guys on my basketball team invited us to his dad's go-kart park. Here are Andy and I before racing (finally - a picture of the infamous flatmate). It was fun and mostly uneventful, except for when one of Andy's wheels came off his kart - he was a bit disappointed, or "quite gutted" as they say in NZ.


Sadly, after a rousing come-from-behind semi-final win, my basketball team lost in the league final last wednesday. Actually, "lost" may be an understatement - we were demolished. There was one interesting aspect though - after the game, the captain of the winning team was asked to address the teams and fans. This is standard in New Zealand - be it the end of the annual Tri-Nations rugby series with Australia and South Africa, or the lowest grade recreational basketball league in Wellington. I think it's rather cool, and to my knowledge, that doesn't occur back home. Hopefully, the team will bounce back and get to the final again next season and win it all.

Now some good news - my cousin and I finally caught a fish! On our fourth expedition we snagged a healthy sized butterfish (or greenbone), which we brought home and deep fried. Marvelous.

I've been unfortunately under the weather this weekend, and haven't really left the house but for a few errands. Hopefully I'll be up and running again in a couple more days.

No comments: