Friday, August 17, 2007

Small world....

Disclaimer: this story has not been corroborated, but I'm confident it is true.

So at work on Friday, I was working with one of the ACC Programme Managers (they work directly with providers in monitoring what is charged back to ACC, and yes, that's how they spell it). Anyways, Rosemary asked me if I was Canadian or American (I am often asked the either/or question... maybe my Minnesota accent is coming back), and where in the States I was from. We were talking a little more about the different perspective you get when you're out of your own country and she shared this little anecdote with me:

She said that when the Olympics were held in Los Angeles (1984) she was watching in NZ with some Danish friends and their American relatives in Christchurch, and the Americans were really taken by the non-American coverage of the Olympics, and how different it was from the patriotic coverage back home. Well, combining 1984, Danish Kiwis, Christchurch, and American relatives in my mind, I said "were your Danish friends Jorgen and Mona Schousboe?" She was shocked, and I think a little embarrassed that she just inadvertantly told me a story about my parents. I do need to confirm this with Mom and Dad (if they remember), but I'm pretty sure Jorgen and Mona do not have any other American relatives (certainly not who were in NZ in the summer of 1984 - unless it was my Grandma, or Uncle who came over to visit - regardless, they're in the family).

I told Rosemary she'd probably even met me at the time and we had a good laugh. It is indeed a small world.

2 comments:

JessiferSeabs said...

that is an amazing story... can't wait to hear more of it!

As an aside, you should hop on over to my blog and check out what's going on with me.

~js

MJ said...

Excellent story.

Hey Scuzz, got a question for you: do internet sensations from the US get popular down there? For instance, right now there are a lot of laughs being had around here at the expense of a beauty pageant contestant who gave a moronic answer about maps...

Cheers,
Marc