Friday, August 3, 2007

Quick Thoughts

Hi all - in light of the tragedy in Minnesota this week, I just wanted to say I hope everyone back home is safe and ok. I've heard from my family and several friends from MN thus far, who were thankfully not involved.

It's a strange experience, being so far away when something like this happens. I didn't expect it, but the story has been the top news item and on the front page in NZ. It was surreal seeing pictures of my hometown all over the office on Friday. It's nice to know that despite the distance, being connected with home is relatively easy thanks worldwide media, internet, etc. It's something I'm trying not to take for granted - 20 years ago when my parents lived here, the only way to communicate home was via mail, or a $2/min phone call!

Again, I hope everyone is safe and sound - especially those of you who live in Minnesota or have family there.

No comments: