Friday, May 25, 2007

Employment

Success! I am happy to report that I am now employed by the ACC – Accident Compensation Corporation, a “crown entity” (aka Government) that basically provides personal injury insurance to all New Zealanders. I’ve been hired for a 6-month contract with the Business Information group – I’ll be doing in-house analysis and reporting on the performance of providers that contract with ACC. This is their nice blue building, which is conveniently located three blocks from my flat!


ACC doesn’t really have a corollary back home – in addition to personal injury coverage, ACC will cover lost wages for workers hurt on the job. The team I'll be on consists of 8 people and is in a state of expansion and reorganization. It should be an interesting place to observe and be a part of. Supposedly I start on Wednesday, although this is, as of yet, unconfirmed.

P.S. A follow-up to all the comments on the box of Halloween costumes - I have not thoroughly searched it, but it includes: a Shrek mask, a police helmet, a dreadlocks wig, plus some fairy wings and assorted accessories.

7 comments:

AC said...

Hey Scuzz!

Greetings from the NW shore of balmy Lake Superior! I’m up here enjoying the annual Memorial Day tourist-bashing festivities in Hovland, MN...the merriment of the local jack-pine savages truly knows no bounds.

The blog is great and I'm jealous as all get out! Appears as if NZ is everything it’s rumored to be, and more. Good luck on starting the new job as a loyal member of Her Majesty’s government...keep us posted.

I found a place in Madison and will be moving in early June. My dad and I are going to spend a week getting lost up in the Boundary Waters just before the move, which should be a good time.

At any rate, hope all continues to go well down there. Take care, and until we catch-up again here’s wishing you...

All the best,
Chalmers

SabrinaE said...

I demand photos of you wearing everything that is in the Halloween box this October!

Ellen said...

Wow Erik are you lucky, you found the absolute perfect job and right in walking distance! I'm looking farward to my internship but I wish I was getting some money too.

And I second Sabrina, I want to see a photo of you wearing some of that stuff, preferably several things at once!

~Ellen

Unknown said...

Hey Buddy, congrats on getting a job out there! Speaking of new jobs, did I tell you I got a job as a pharmtech? Hooray!

jenbo said...

Erik,
Congrats on the new job! It sounds like NZ is an incredible place. Jimbo wants to know if it's already Memorial Day there (it's still Sunday here). He seems to forget that Memorial Day is uniquely American. However, we still hope the Memorial Day Fairy pays you a visit and fills your stocking with American flags (whatever that means). We'll be waiting with baited breath for your next posting. Take care!
Jennie & Jim

Unknown said...

Congrats on the job! Isn't walking to work great?!? You are walking, aren't you?

Annie Tate said...

Hi Erik!
This is Ann Marie's friend Annie from home. I am so glad you made it to NZ safely and are enjoying your time. I hope you have a great time! Congrats on the job!